The Dill Pickle Food Co-op held its first meeting in January 2004 at SpareRoom gallery. Kathleen Duffy organized the meeting, which was attended by over sixty people. That meeting found a common interest in opening a storefront food co-op on Chicago's northwest side and the organizing effort began.
The co-op's name was inspired by the original "Dil Pickle Club" which existed in Chicago from 1916-1932. As summarized by the Newberry Library, "Operating as a coffeehouse, art gallery, and speakeasy, 'The Pickle' welcomed hoboes, prostitutes, professors, and every variety of nonconformist passing through Chicago. In its early years, the Pickle was a meeting place for some of Chicago's most famous authors, intellectuals, and radicals."
More information and images at the Newberry Library.